The mission of the Family and Consumer Science Program is to prepare students to be proactive in managing life’s emerging and challenging issues and to make quality decisions affecting self, family, and community.
The Family and Consumer Science Program promotes life-long learning. The focus is on the interrelationships between family, community, and careers. The Family and Consumer Science Program prepares students for the future: functioning as family members, consumers, citizens, and wage earners by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors necessary to be successful in today’s ever-changing society.
In addition to the mission and vision statements, the following fundamental principles guide overall instruction in the Neshaminy School District’s Family and Consumer Science Program. Students will prepare for family life, community responsibilities, and careers in today’s society by being provided with the opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for:
• Strengthening the well-being of individuals of families across the life-span.
• Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
• Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life-span.
• Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
• Balancing personal, home, family, and work lives.
• Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family &
• Successful life management, employment, and career development.
• Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
• Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one’s actions and success in family
& work life.